by Suzie Eller
You labored over your blog posts, but did you take the same care with the titles of those blog posts?
In today’s tip, you’ll find tips to help you create blog titles to capture your readers.
Create titles that spark (or join in) conversations
There are multiple conversations going around us all the time. Some are private. Some are personal. Others are lively and fun. Some conversations are with God. Some are with ourselves.
Your title should fit into a conversation. As you write your blog post, consider a conversation that might be taking place about your topic.
- What is being asked?
- What is the need behind that conversation?
- What is the fear?
- What is the hope?
Create titles that are searchable
When searching online, you are rarely vague. If you are looking for a recipe, you type in the name of the recipe. If you are searching for help to fix the microwave, you are pretty specific. Your titles are key in your ranking in a search engine. Consider key phrases, questions, or specific keywords that someone might use when searching on this topic.
Let’s look at these examples:
Leadership blogger post title:
- That prodigious pile of in-bound paper
- Six ways to overcome email fatigue
Parenting blogger post title:
- Am I still a good mom when I lose it?
- When you feel like Mount Mama
Social justice blogger post:
- Is a hash tag really enough to fight the sex trade?
- Going beyond the hash tag to stop the sex trade
The above titles may feel close. However, consider their searchability. What would happen if you typed in the title into a search engine?
Get personal in your title
Is this title a promise, encouragement, a real question, or something that will cause your friend to smile, think, or dig deeper?
YOUR ASSIGNMENT IF YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT
- Go to a former blog post. Would you change it, and why or why not?
- Share a compelling title from a blog post of one of your favorite bloggers. Why did it appeal to you? Share the link to the blog post, if possible.
July 26, 2022
July 19, 2022
July 12, 2022